Unlike many other law firms, at Wise Family Lawyers we are happy to provide fixed fees for some standard work. We know from experience that even though everybody’s personal situation is unique, many of the processes we undertake to resolve specific issues are the same for all clients. This means that we can offer set fees for certain tasks so that you know exactly what you will have to pay.
- Initial consultation (60 min)
- Application for Consent Orders*
- Child Support Agreement
- Divorce Application*
- Power of Attorney
There are filing fees and other charges you have to pay when filing for Divorce or Consent Orders. You may be eligible for a waive of filing fees if you have a valid pension or concession card. For updated filing fees, please visit the Family Court’s website.
Aside from the fixed fees of services listed above, our work is otherwise undertaken on an hourly rate basis ranging from $100 to $450 per hour exclusive of GST.
What to Expect from Us
- send you itemised interim bills so that you are regularly informed of your ongoing legal costs;
- discuss any substantial disbursements (out of pocket expenses such as barrister’s fees, accounting, valuation and witnesses’ fees) with you before they are incurred;
- provide you with written information about your rights in relation to legal costs;
- provide prompt response to any queries about your costs or bills;
Regarding your Legal Costs
- You will be asked to sign a written costs agreement and disclosure statement which sets out the way we charge for our services.
- You will be expected to pay your bills promptly.
- You will be asked to provide money to be held in our trust account for the payment of your legal costs and disbursements (out of pocket expenses).
- If you cannot pay your costs regularly as the matter proceeds or from your assets, income or funds borrowed from relatives, you will need to apply for a loan or litigation funding if you want us to continue to act for you.
Generally speaking in family law matters each party shall bear their own costs of proceedings. In limited circumstances you may be successful applying to the court for an order which allows for costs to be paid from within the asset pool to enable you to pay your legal costs and disbursements and continue with the court case. This is known as a “Barro Order” or sometimes a “Hogan Order”.